Skip to main content

What's in a name?

William Carey, the father of modern missions, described his greatest strength in the following words: "I can plod. This is my only genius. I can persevere in any definite pursuit. To this I owe everything." I cannot claim to have the genius or determination of a William Carey. I share his doctrine and his denomination, but fall far short of his commitment to Christ. However, I do identify with the desire to be a plodder for Jesus Christ. We live in a day where everyone seems to be chasing after their 15 minutes of fame. "Here today, gone tomorrow" appears to be the motto of our age. In contrast, I want to plod on till Jesus comes or until that day he calls me home. Having now clearly entered into the second half of my life, I want to finish well. My prayer is that I may be found a faithful servant till then.

When I chose a "life" verse as a young man, I had no idea that it would become so much more meaningful the older I grew. Yet these verses seem ever more significant to me as plod along this road of Christian faith.

Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

For all those who seek to plod faithfully to the end, I invite you to join with me in the journey.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage