Skip to main content

Sports Fever

It is official.  The bandwagon is at full-throttle and everyone in Ontario is jumping aboard.  The Blue Jays are atop the American league east and are looking likely to being the playoffs for the first time in over twenty years.  The stadium which at this time last year was only half-full, is now sold-out - capacity crowds already guaranteed till the end of the season.  The excitement is amazing.

Why?

Will the fate of the team change the direction of the world?

Will a victory save refugees in the Syrian crisis?

Will a win even really make anyone happy for more than a few weeks?

Now, my intention is not to rain on your parade.  If it gives you joy to see your team do well, then I wish you joy! 

However, let's not lose perspective.  In the grand scheme of the great issues of the world, the fate of your favourite baseball/hockey/football/chess team likely doesn't make it into the top one hundred list.  Let's not do what millions in the western world do on a regular basis.  Let's not make our team or our sport the idol in our life. 

Let me suggest that if the fate of your team has a greater impact on your mood than your forgiveness in Christ, then you have an idol problem.  If the hope that your team wins the pennant or cup is more important than your hope of heaven, then you have an idol problem.

I know whereof I speak.  I have been a Toronto Maple Leafs fan since I came to Canada in 1967.  I had to give up watching Hockey Night in Canada games on Saturday night.  I found that my mood was depressed on Saturday nights when my team would lose (a typical outcome).  This depression affected my mood for worship on Sunday mornings.  I had to make a choice.  Which was more important - watching my team or being ready to worship God?  The Leafs had to go. 

Little children, keep yourselves from idols.
(1Jo 5:21-1 ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage