Skip to main content

Why Do We. . .?

As I look at my computer screen I have been noticing a type of advertising that has been appearing more and more often.  The adverts could in the broadest sense be called human interest stories.  Unfortunately they all tend to have lurid headlines which appeal to our baser interests.

10 Celebrity blood feuds.
Famous celebrities without make-up.
15 Plastic surgery disasters.
You Won't believe these Tattoo disasters!

Why do such things grab our attention?  Why are we compelled to stop and look?  It seems to me that each of these ads presents someone's pain and suffering as entertainment for the rest of us.  Isn't there something grotesque about finding entertainment is the misery of other?

I have to believe that this is contrary to the admonition of the Apostle Paul about where we ought to focus our minds.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Phi 4:8 ESV)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage