Skip to main content

Got What He Deserved. . .

When I opened my browser page today the first story that leaped to my attention began with the headline; "Burt Reynolds 'Shocks' With Charlie Sheen HIV Comments." It seems that in an interview on British Television, Burt Reynolds made the claim that Sheen had gotten what he deserved when he contracted HIV.

According to The Sun, Burt said: “For Charlie, no, he deserves it. He misbehaved badly. Very badly.”

The audience immediately responded negatively to this statement.
One audience member told the newspaper Burt’s comments “shocked” everyone, adding: “Of course, HIV is something that no one deserves. The insensitivity of the man was unbelievable.”

Wow.  Apparently we have gotten to the stage that no one deserves any negative consequences from his actions.  No wonder we are having a hard time with the Gospel.  The bad news before the good news of the Gospel is that every one of us deserves the eternal wrath of Almighty God.  The Good News is that instead of giving me what I truly deserve, God gives grace through Jesus - completely undeserved.

Does Charlie Sheen deserve HIV.  He sure does.  And so do I.  And so do you.  It is only by God's grace that any of us don't get what we deserve.

There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And he answered them, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."
(Luk 13:1-5 ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage