Skip to main content

Eleventh Night

Here in Northern Ireland, July 11 is bonfire night.  Tomorrow, the twelfth, is the commemoration of King William's victory over King James at the Battle of the Boyne.  My observation, as an Irish Protestant who as grown up outside of the politics of the last forty years, is that there is a great memory of tradition without a similar memory of the doctrine which led to the division between Catholic and Protestant.  Many Protestants would give their lives for the tradition without any real concept of the Gospel from which their tradition originated.  That is sad.

There is a willingness to fight - just no real concept of what is worth fighting for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage