Skip to main content

In Love with our own Eloquence

A lifetime ago, back in Bible College days, we would joke about finding a killer illustration. Now all we had to do was find a text to go with it. Our vigilant professors rightly used every tool at their disposal to beat this tendency out of us. Such an approach too easily leads to the mangling of the Biblical text in order to fit the illustration.

I believe this age-old danger has only intensified in the intervening years. Today "the story" has become the focus of many preachers. The ability to tell a compelling story has been highly elevated among those who fill the pulpit. There are many masters of the art of story-telling. However, the burning question must still be, "Does the story rule the text or does the text rule the story?" As I listen to many story-tellers, I am afraid that they are so enamoured with the eloquence of their own words that they could care less about what text they corrupt - so long as it supports their brilliance. Story can be a powerful tool when it is used in service to the Scriptures and their story. Unfortunately, many of the stories being told by so-called preachers have as much validity as those that begin "Once upon a time."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage