Skip to main content

Twisted Logic

For forty years Jeremiah proclaimed God's message that Jerusalem would be destroyed because of Judah's idolatry. By chapter 44 God has fulfilled the threat and the remnant have fled to Egypt. The misery of the people is directly related to their idolatry and disobedience to God. However, now that they are in Egypt the people have once more turned to idolatry. Here is their logic. When we were worshiping idols in Jerusalem we had peace and plenty. When we stopped worshiping idols, Nebuchadnezzar attacked us. Therefore, we are going back to worshiping idols. Instead of attributing the destruction to God's judgment of idolatry, they attribute it to their last minute attempt to placate Jehovah by putting aside their idols in the final months of Nebuchadnezzar's seige.

This is like a bank robber who is in prison being asked what he will do when he is released. "Oh I'm going to rob banks again. Because when I was robbing banks before I had lots of money. Since I stopped robbing banks I've been in prison. So life was better when I was robbing banks."
There is a total disconnect between the crime and the punishment. There is a total warping of all of the natural laws of thinking and logic.

One of my former associates often made the claim "Sin makes you stupid." He was absolutely right. Sin corrupts us totally. It warps our minds in the same way that it warps every other part of us. It is not a matter of intelligence or the lack thereof. It is a corruption that permeates every part of our consciousness. For proof one only has to look at the universities of our land. There is not one wicked, evil idea that does not have some tenured academic arguing for its goodness. In North America one can find so-called academics who will stand up for every perversity imaginable. Such is the corruption that it is its nature to call evil "good" and good "evil."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage