Skip to main content

How Do We Wrestle?

Yesterday we talked about the fact that our struggle in not against flesh and blood but against Satan and his minions.  The question then arises as to how we can possibly wrestle against such foes.  Paul responds by encouraging us to put on the whole armour of God.  However, the thing that strikes me is how he finishes that section.  Having discussed the six pieces of armour Paul finishes by saying:

18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel,
(Eph 6:18-19 ESV)

As we wear the armour, we must be praying "at all times" with "all prayers and supplication" with "all perseverance."  In order to be effective in this battle we must be constantly in prayer.  Yet we must not make the mistake that it is our prayers that make the difference.  Rather, it is the One to whom we pray who makes the difference.  We do not pray because prayer works.  We pray because the One to whom we pray does His work.  As the apostle John reminds us:

Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (1Jo 4:4 ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage