Skip to main content

Prone to Wander. . .

That line comes from the old hymn Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing and is part of the verse:

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Recently I overheard someone ridicule that line.  They weren't prone to wander.  However, I think the writer juxtaposes the idea perfectly with the parallel line "prone to leave the God I love." As a child of the king I love Him with all my heart, but as long as I am still in this old sinful body, I will also constantly be faced with the temptation to wander.  Praise God, it is Christ through the Spirit He has given us who seals our salvation.  Despite my frailty and tendency to wander, Jesus keeps hold of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage