Skip to main content

Week of Prayer

This week at our church has been set aside as a week of prayer.  As part of that observance, we put together a "Daily Bread" style devotional on prayer.  Each entry was contributed by one of our missionaries or pastors.

Day Two
Today's devotion by Wally and Jeannie Stephenson was on 1 Thessalonians 5:17.  Pray without ceasing seems impossible if our concept of praying is limited to our private devotional prayer life.  I don't have the time to spend all day with my prayer list, doing nothing but praying.  I admire Jeannie's candor in admitting how difficult it is to spend long hours in prayer.  However, I love the way she has responded to this command to constantly pray.

"Throughout the day as I watch events around me, I enjoy a more spontaneous prayer life.  I pray for safety as IC see cars at out four-way corner.  I ask God to give peace to the couple outside the Laundromat arguing almost to fisticuffs; for strength and patience for the young mother whose baby definitely does not want to sit in the stroller.  Yes, we pray together as a couple, and I have my personal prayer list, but I also rejoice in being able to pray each time I hear a siren, or see a woman in a burka, or teenagers bent on stretching some rule.  I'll never know the answers.  I don't nee to.  My job is to PRAY."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage