Skip to main content

How Powerful is the Atonement of Jesus?

It is Easter week.  Good Friday is near.  Easter Sunday is just around the corner.  The great danger for those of us who have grown up in the church lies in the apathy than can so easily claim us.  We've been here before.  We've done this before.  We know the story.  We sing of "Amazing" grace, but some of the awe and wonder has gone out of it.

This is why I appreciate an article I read today. Mark Loughridge tells of the book he has just finished reading - Mission at Nuremburg by Tim Townsend.  The book is the story of Henry Gerecke who was the chaplain at the Nuremburg war trials for the top Nazis after the Second World War.  Under his care were 6 of the chief architects of the holocaust.  The book tells of Gerecke's determination to share with these men the forgiveness to be found in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

These men were guilty of the murder of millions.  Most would say that these men, of all men who ever lived, deserved to feel the full wrath of Almighty God.  Gerecke, however realized that Christ's death was even sufficient to atone for the crimes of men such as these.

As Loughridge summarizes, "As he sought to minister to them some, like Goering and Hess, had little time for his message, yet they appreciated his ministry. For Sauckel, Keitel, Frick and Ribbentrop it was different. As they met with Gerecke over the course of the trials, and although they knew it wouldn’t impact their sentence, they came to conviction of their sin, repented and sought forgiveness through Jesus Christ." "Ribbentrop, asked for his last words by the executioner, said, 'I place all my confidence in the Lamb who made atonement for my sins.' Then he turned to Gerecke and said, 'I’ll see you again.'"

How powerful is the atoning work of Jesus on Calvary?  It is powerful enough to save a genoicidal Nazi.  It is powerful enough to save you and me.

Read Loughridge's full article HERE.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage