Skip to main content

Will Phoebe have Down's Syndrome in Heaven?

Paul Levy, Phoebe's father, writes this amazing little piece that you must read.


It seems even too trite to write a blog post such as this but at our dinner table the other night my 6 year old son asked the question. In January 2015 our third child Phoebe was born and, as a complete surprise to us, Phoebe has Down's Syndrome. The last year has been, and continues to be, an enormous roller coaster full of joy and sorrow too.


One of the things my wife and I have struggled with is that we know that God has brought Phoebe into our lives. Her Down's Syndrome, although a surprise to us, was no surprise to her Heavenly Father; she is fearfully and wonderfully made. However, we also have to recognise that her Down's Syndrome is a result of the fall.


So my 6 year old's question is a real one - in the new creation will Phoebe have Down's Syndrome? All will be made new, there will be no more suffering, no more pain. As I've tried to think this through theologically, it seems to me that in the new creation Phoebe will be Phoebe but she will be different, just as I will still be Levy but I will be different.

Read the rest HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage