Skip to main content

All we like sheep. . .


Sheep Tragi-Comedy #1,317: “The Draad Kruiper”

by Eric Davis


Amusing sheep stories abound. Some of my moments of more rigorous chortling have been in response to real-life sheep tragi-comedies. One of the more recent involves what is called the “Draad Kruiper,” which I heard from my good friend, Pastor Anton Van Straaten. “Draad Kruiper” is Afrikaans for, “fence crawler.” The story goes like this:
There was a shepherd who owned many sheep and took good care of them in his pasture. However, not all of the sheep took a liking to the plentiful feeding provided in the grassy sheepfold. One day, the shepherd noticed that one of his sheep was missing. Being a faithful shepherd, he scanned the fold for the sheep.

Missing sheep was not an uncommon thing. Now and then a renegade sheep would bolt the fold only to end up tangled in a bramble bush upside down, or worse. But this time, the shepherd did not have to go far to find the missing sheep. As he scanned the grassy yard, he noticed the sheep just on the other side of the fence. The sheep stood there nonchalantly, just looking at the shepherd. He wasn’t running, moving, struggling, or hurt. Just standing there by the fence. So, being a reliable shepherd, and knowing it was that sheep’s first escapade, he gently moved the erring sheep back into the lush barnyard and reminded it of what it already knew; that there was plenty of good eats inside the fold.
The next day, when the shepherd awoke to feed the flock, he noticed that the same sheep was missing. Sure enough, there it was standing in the same place on the other side of the fence. It looked at him. He looked at it. It didn’t move, but stood there, again, nonchalantly and unhurt. Since the sheep was full-grown, the shepherd couldn’t quite figure out how it was getting out. So, he brought it back in again. The next day, the shepherd observed the same, full-grown sheep in the act. Like a snake slithering on the ground, the sheep was straining to flatten itself, and slink underneath the few-inch barbed-wire fence. He noticed the sheep exerted great effort throughout the laborious process, lowering its body, wiggling its way under the wire, and crawling inch by inch, until finally it emerged on the other side of the fence. It took far more effort to snake under the few inches between the barbed wire and the ground than it did to humbly integrate into the flock. For days the sheep did the same thing. And, interestingly, it never ran away. It always stood just on the other side of the fence. It loved to crawl under the fence and just stand there, always near the sheepfold, but never in the sheepfold. The “Draad Kruiper.”

If there were no human parallels, the Draad Kruiper would simply be funny story. Not coincidentally, God likens humans to sheep more than any other thing. Perhaps parallels exist more often than not.
Read the applications HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Families' Fridays

Starting a Family Devotion Time by Michael Kelley I haven’t always been a family devotion guy. It’s not because I didn’t want or aspire to be, I honestly did. But we went a long time as a family before pulling the trigger and trying to integrate this practice into the regular rhythm of our family life.  We’ve been doing morning devotions together for about five years now – long enough to where our kids expect that we will. It’s a long road, as are most things with young children I’m finding out. Though revival doesn’t break out every morning over eggs and toast, our continued hope and prayer is that times like these build into the love and discipline our children will have in the future when it comes to God’s Word.  Through those five years, we’ve tried different things, failed at a bunch, and have learned some things along the way. So, as encouragement to those of you just starting out or maybe some affirmation for those of you already in ...

The Incarnation

This Christmas I have been contemplating a passage that I have never heard preached at Christmas.  It is Hebrews 2:14-18. 14 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. 16 For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. 17 Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.   Although there is no baby in swaddling clothes in these verses, they powerfully describe the work of the incarnation - of God becoming man.  Christ came to share ou...

Oops!

I can be a real klutz.  I have very few manual skills and I never grew out of the "tripping over my own feet" stage of life.  I have fumbled and dropped more than my fair share of balls. In other words, "oops" has been a regular part of my vocabulary. It is not only in the physical world that I have fumbled things.  I have messed up relationships.  I have prejudged people before ever getting to know them.  I have used and abused those who love me most in this world.  I have failed and sinned my way into more than one tight corner and created untold disasters.  Oops is not even sufficient for the ways that I have blown it. Perhaps that is why something Paul, our worship leader last Sunday, said resonated so deeply with me this week.  He said "Oops is never said in heaven."  Our God never is clumsy.  He never makes mistakes. His plans never go belly-up.  He never fails.  He never ever has to say oops - and that comforts me.