Skip to main content

Another Earth Day

I personally have no problem with recycling or green energy.  Let's save the whales and the polar bears and the red-bellied South African newt (I made that last one up).  Let's be more careful with how we use the resources at our disposal, keeping future generations in mind.

My problem this earth day is with none of those things.  My problem lies with the fact that earth day has become worship the earth day.  The media speaks of the earth as though it were a person.  We can't say a fetus in the womb is a person, but we can believe that a planet is.  The language used is reverential and solemn (like what you once would have heard in church).  We have exchanged the worship of God who created the earth for the worship of the earth itself.

Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for aa lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
 (Rom 1:24-25 ESV)

And let me remind us about what God's future is for the earth.

But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly. (2Pe 3:7 ESV)

Let's be good stewards of the earth that God has given us.  Let's not worship the earth instead of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage