Skip to main content

Misquoted

A very popular quotation that regularly makes the rounds in Evangelical circles is "Preach the Gospel at all times, use words if necessary."  It is usually attributed to Francis of Assisi although no historical document related to Francis ever records the quotation.  Aside from the historical inaccuracy, it is one of those statements that at first glance sounds utterly profound, but upon deeper examination is totally foolish.  It is impossible to communicate the Gospel without words.  I can show the results of the Gospel in my life by action, but I can never explain the saving work of the Gospel without words.  Some writers around the internet have been trying to show the ridiculous nature of this statement by making similar statements in other more familiar situations.  Here are a few of the best:

Wash regularly, if necessary use water.

Help the hungry, if necessary use food.

Help the sick, if necessary use medicine.

1 Peter 3:15 15 but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage