Skip to main content

A Desire to Be Remembered


This is the Sliddery Ford Dolmen just outside Newcastle, Northern Ireland.  It is identified as a prehistoric monument dating back several thousand years.  It probably would have marked the entrance to a Celtic passage tomb. 

While it is not as grand as the pyramids, it essentially serves the same purpose.  It reflects man's age-old desire to be remembered after passing from this world.  All over the world, monuments have been erected to mark man's time in this world for future generations.  Some are more effective than others. Some last for millennia, while others barely survive the person that they commemorate.  They all reflect our desire to be remembered - and they all ultimately fail.

However, there is one who never forgets his children. 

5 The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels. (Rev 3:5 ESV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage