Skip to main content

A New Scam

When I arrived in the office this morning, there was an email waiting for me.  The writer of the email informed me that they had been listening to my sermons online and would like me to be the guest speaker at a special conference they were holding at their church.  They would be glad to cover my travel expenses and would pay me for the services I would preach.  To top it all off, the church was located in London, England.  Who wouldn't jump at a chance for an all-expenses paid trip to London England?

Well, I am not going to England any time soon. 

What appears at face value to be a gracious offer is, in fact, the latest Nigerian scam.  You remember those scams from the first days of email.  They were usually directed at Christians who would stand to make a lot of money if only they would help a dear brother/sister in Christ who lived in Nigeria.  Of course, in order to help, the North American would be required to either divulge bank account numbers, or send some money to help the process along.

What interests me is the change in tactic.  The first scam appealed to compassion followed by greed.  This new scam appeals to pride.  "They heard my sermons and thought they were so good that they want to fly me all the way to London to speak."  Such a thought could stoke anyone's ego. 

It says something of human nature.  What bait works the best?  Even pastors are vulnerable to having our pride stroked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Families' Fridays

Starting a Family Devotion Time by Michael Kelley I haven’t always been a family devotion guy. It’s not because I didn’t want or aspire to be, I honestly did. But we went a long time as a family before pulling the trigger and trying to integrate this practice into the regular rhythm of our family life.  We’ve been doing morning devotions together for about five years now – long enough to where our kids expect that we will. It’s a long road, as are most things with young children I’m finding out. Though revival doesn’t break out every morning over eggs and toast, our continued hope and prayer is that times like these build into the love and discipline our children will have in the future when it comes to God’s Word.  Through those five years, we’ve tried different things, failed at a bunch, and have learned some things along the way. So, as encouragement to those of you just starting out or maybe some affirmation for those of you already in ...

The Incarnation

This Christmas I have been contemplating a passage that I have never heard preached at Christmas.  It is Hebrews 2:14-18. 14 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. 16 For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. 17 Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. 18 For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.   Although there is no baby in swaddling clothes in these verses, they powerfully describe the work of the incarnation - of God becoming man.  Christ came to share ou...

Oops!

I can be a real klutz.  I have very few manual skills and I never grew out of the "tripping over my own feet" stage of life.  I have fumbled and dropped more than my fair share of balls. In other words, "oops" has been a regular part of my vocabulary. It is not only in the physical world that I have fumbled things.  I have messed up relationships.  I have prejudged people before ever getting to know them.  I have used and abused those who love me most in this world.  I have failed and sinned my way into more than one tight corner and created untold disasters.  Oops is not even sufficient for the ways that I have blown it. Perhaps that is why something Paul, our worship leader last Sunday, said resonated so deeply with me this week.  He said "Oops is never said in heaven."  Our God never is clumsy.  He never makes mistakes. His plans never go belly-up.  He never fails.  He never ever has to say oops - and that comforts me.