Skip to main content

Marriage is Still Best

In the vast majority of countries that we looked at in Europe, at all education levels, people who are married when they have kids are markedly more stable than people who are cohabiting when they have their kids. Generally speaking, the least educated married families in Europe enjoy more stability than the most educated cohabiting families. That’s not what I would have guessed. I assumed that we’d find some kind of marriage stability premium, but I didn’t realize it would be that pronounced, and that marriage was a more powerful predictor of family stability in Europe than parental education.


From "The Three Myths of Cohabitation" by Andrea Palpant Dilley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage