Skip to main content

The Relativity of Age

Growing up in Canada, most historical sites that one can visit are younger than two hundred years.  In the country of Ireland where I was born, it is not unusual to find a site that dates back 1000 years.  Today in the land of Israel I stood before a gate that goes back 3800 years.


This gate stood when the patriarchs were still alive.  This gate stood when Israel went into Egypt for 400 years.

We tend to be chronological snobs here at the beginning of the 21st century.  It is humbling to think that we are just the latest speck on the timeline of history.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage