Skip to main content

An Accident

Yesterday my father-in-law was in a traffic accident.  His car was t-boned by another vehicle at an intersection.  He is presently under observation in hospital with a concussion.

As I sat awaiting news about his condition, my mind flitted in so many different directions.  I am sure that the thoughts that passed though my mind were typical of those that others experience in these types of circumstances.  There were concerned thoughts for his health and for my mother-in-law confined to the nursing home.  There were loving thoughts for my dear wife as she hurts for her father. There were speculative thoughts about what this accident might mean for his future.  There were even selfish thoughts about why this had to happen the week before Christmas.

The most productive thought of the day was the one that reminded me that there are really no such things as accidents.  Oh, I know that is the word we humans use for things that happen in our lives that are unplanned and unforeseen. I wish I could think up a better word for such circumstances that actually reflects my true beliefs and theology.  You see there are no unplanned or unforeseen happenings for our God.  He plans each and every one and they are under His unfailing control.  Not only that, but He has promised that every single event in out life has been planned and ordained by Him for our best as His child - even a traffic accident on a snowy Monday morning.


28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? (Rom. 8:28-31)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage