Skip to main content

Perseverance

I spoke at the chapel this morning for our Christian school.  The character quality the school is emphasizing this month is perseverance.  As I contemplated what I might say about such a topic, I typed the word into my search engine.  Surprisingly it was a name that popped up first in my results page - Derek Redmond.  I went to youtube and watched the video of Derek running the 400 meter race at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.  About 100 meters into the race, Derek sustained an injury that caused him to drop to his knees on the track.  For about 30 seconds he knelt there while the other runners cross the finishing line.  Then he did something remarkable.  He fended off the track officials, and began to hobble towards the finish line.   The race was long over.  Victory had already been claimed.  Yet despite obvious pain, Derek Redmond steadily made his way towards the finish line.  At about the 150 mark a man dashed from the crowd - Derek's dad.  Holding tight to each other, they crossed the finish line.  It is an extremely moving video and I encourage you to watch it for yourself.

Such perseverance is inspiring.  However, it pales in comparison to the perseverance called for in the Christian life.  Our perseverance is not for 400 meters, but for a lifetime of service to our master Jesus Christ.  We are to run the race with endurance or perseverance fixing our eyes on Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-2).  Another way that our race is different lies in the prize.  In Derek's race, gold, silver and bronze were awarded only to the winners of the race.  Derek gained nothing but a sense of personal accomplishment by crossing the line dead last.  In the Christian life the prize is for all those who finish the race.  It is not only for the strongest and the fastest, but also for the plodders who bravely keep on running despite all of the adversities that plague their way.  I really appreciate the way the apostle Paul puts it: 

2 Timothy 4:7-8 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage