Skip to main content

Psychopaths Among Us?

Forbes magazine put out a list this past week of the top ten professions that attract psychopaths.  Among the professions were many that one might expect to see in a list discussing people who have trouble empathizing with others.  CEO's and lawyers topped the list, with media, salesperson and surgeon rounding out the top five.  Perhaps the most disconcerting among the top ten professions was that clergy appeared as number eight on the list.  Is the ministry a haven for people who have real trouble understanding the feelings of their fellow human beings?

To determine if this is true, let's begin by examining what we mean by psychopathy.  Because many serial killers are also psychopaths, many think that calling someone a psychopath means that we can expect them to lose it at any moment and go on a killing rampage.  Psychology Today defines psychopathy in more understandable terms:

"Psychopathy is among the most difficult disorders to spot. The psychopath can appear normal, even charming. Underneath, they lack conscience and empathy, making them manipulative, volatile and often (but by no means always) criminal. They are an object of popular fascination and clinical anguish: psychopathy is largely impervious to treatment."

So does ministry attract this kind of person?  We might console ourselves that the designation clergy includes cult leaders and Muslim imams, hyper-fundamentalists and overly strict nuns.  Sure maybe they include some psychopaths, but not we Evangelicals.  I beg to differ.  I am convinced that the opportunities for psychopaths in Evangelicalism is growing by the day.

Why would I make such a dramatic claim?  Well, first I have to say that I have experience with some of these ministerial psychopaths.  I have met some real narcissists in ministry who cannot see beyond their own egos to see the feelings of their people.  Secondly, I think the trends within our churches cater to psychopathic personalities.  We are trending to larger churches where the pastor has little or no connection to the average person in the pew.  The popular models for pastoral ministry are the CEO or the rock star, both of which lend themselves to individuals who are totalling self-absorbed.  Our church growth models could have been taken from the psychopath's handbook.  Many popular church growth strategies suggest implementation will cost the church about 20% of their congregations, however, once this deadwood is gone, then real growth can be achieved.  Can you imagine the Good Shepherd inspiring a church growth principle where 20% of the sheep were expendable?  As I recall, He wasn't satisfied that ninety-nine were safe in the fold.

So why make a big deal about this?  A psychopath might say that I am doing so because I am jealous.  Psychopaths get results.  They often pastor big churches.  They are successful.  Am I just name-calling because I am jealous of their success?  No there is more to it than that.  I point it out because it is contrary to what ministry ought to be.  The Good Shepherd has left pastors to care for the flock in his absence.  A prerequisite for the job is caring about people.  Psychopaths don't.  They might preach well or put on a good show, but ultimately they fail where it matters most - caring.  As a result, their congregation is always a means to their own end.  As long as their needs are being met they can be charming, but cross them and they will become vicious wolves who will use and abuse people to accomplish their own goals.  It seems to me they are the very people the apostle Paul warned the Ephesian elders about:

Acts 20:29-31 29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. 31 Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish everyone with tears.  

Comments

"a"postle said…
I found this blog very insightful. I myself have dealt with these people in ministry. I wrote on this issue here:

http://tmblr.co/ZePmgx1cLDCLy

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage