Skip to main content

Why I hate asking for money

Summer has just ended and along with it the traditional low time for charitable donations.  Our church is no exception with the result that we are significantly behind in our budget.  Further, there appears to be a persistent pattern in the reduced offerings that may portend a need to trim our budget for the coming year.  When it comes to the ministries of a local church, there is just no easy way to do that.  The alternative for many involves the pastor preaching on giving.  I resist this latter approach for several reasons.

1.  The televangelists have ruined appealing for donations in the same way the Mormons and JW's have ruined door-to-door visitation.  Although there is nothing wrong with doing either thing, some activities just have a guilt-by-association feel to them.  I am tired of the caricature that the church just wants your money.  I don't want to feed that image. 

2.  I don't know how much people should give.  I rather suspect that most people, including myself, are giving much too little to the Lord.  Statistics say that the average church-goer is giving about 2-4% of their income to the Lord's work.  Some would have me preach that 10% is what is expected of every Christian.  The problem is I don't believe that.  I believe that for most of us in North America 10% is much too low.  If that was what was a required minimum under the Law, shouldn't we who are recipients of the amazing grace of Christ desire to do much more?

3.  Giving is a private matter between the individual and the Lord.  In 2 Corinthians 9:7 Paul says, "Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." I am not the Holy Spirit.  It is His job to convict, lead and guide.  I want my people to give whatever amount they have chosen to give based on their own relationship with the Lord.  As I preach the Scriptures book by book, the subject of giving comes up plenty of times and I am sure the Holy Spirit is capable of convicting as He sees fit.

4.  I believe God provides.  I really wrestle with this.  I also, do not want to speak evil of other pastors that make a different choice than I do on this subject.  This is where the Holy Spirit has brought me in my own convictions on the matter of asking for money.  The work is God's work.  Do I really have enough faith to believe that God will supply for the work He has planned?  Why do I feel the need to browbeat and arm-twist in order to get the money necessary?  As I examine my own heart, my personal answer to that question results in an admission that I lack the faith to trust God to provide.  I want to help Him along.  He doesn't need my help.  I need to consistently teach His Word that tells us that faithful giving is undoubtedly a necessary part of our reasonable worship.  I need to disciple His children with the truth that part of their growth in Christ ought to be faithful support of the ministry.  However, I also need to trust God that He will provide through His people the funds required for the accomplishment of His good work.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day Back After Vacation

There are few days in my life when I am more pathetic than the first day back to work after vacation.  My personal pity party is quite something to behold.  What is lacking is a good old dose of perspective to remind me that my "griefs" pale in comparison to what most of the world faces each day.  It took a comic strip to give me that perspective this morning.

Marriage